How you can Make Your Own Soda
When you think “homemade,” you might not think of soda pop. Carbonated soft drinks are inexpensive and available everywhere, but you’re also a nutritional nightmare of empty calories and excess sugar. When you create your own soda, you can control the components and the quantity of sugar, making fresh, healthier soda. While many sugary sodas such as root beer are brewed over time like beer, lighter sodas can be made with home carbonation machines that inject carbon dioxide into liquid in just a matter of moments.
1. Mix the lemon and lime juice in a bowl. Add the sugar and stir until it’s dissolved. Set the lemon-lime mixture aside.
2. Put the cold water into a bottle that’s compatible with your carbonation machine, leaving about 2 inches of air space in the bottle neck.
3. Load the CO2 canister as directed for your carbonation machine.
4. Put the bottle as directed on the carbonation machine. Most units have a button you press to inject the CO2 into the water; inject the CO2 as directed, to the quantity of carbonation desired.
5. Take away the bottle from the machine. Add the lemon-lime mixture for a fresh citrus soda. Conversely, you can add flavored soda syrup, or drink the carbonated water plain.